Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Making lemonade

We were driving around a neighborhood in Chalmette right next to the Murphy Oil refinery that was once covered in black slime. I was startled by the image of a statue of the Virgin Mary that still had black streaks across it.

While taking pictures the lady across the street came out and asked what we were doing. Her house looked like it made it through OK, which amazed me. She said it was just a good cleaning job and then explained that what I took for a small home was her garage.

"I had a 500 square foot garage and a 3000 square foot house. Now I have a 500 square foot house and a 3000 square foot garage."

Two double beds leave room for her, her husband and their two children. Next to them is a dining room table and a small kitchenette lines the opposite wall.

She was smiling and joking even though hers is the only family on the block. At least they're at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home